Saturday, July 28, 2007
A friend of mine is having twins! So I've gotten started making baby things. These socks come from leftover washcloth yarn (thaki cotton). I found that most baby sock patterns make a really wide gusset. Mine knit up a bit narrower, and they look a little more like adult socks. They're long enough to fold the cuff over. Here's the pattern:
These knit up into teeny, tiny, newborn size socks.
On size 3 double point needles, cast on 24.
Join to work in the round.
K1P1 every row until work measures 2.5 inches.
Divide for heel: Put 12 sts on one needle (this is now Needle 1). Heel flap is knit back and forth on these 12 stitches.
for 12 rows:
Odd rows: slip 1, knit across
Even rows: slip 1, purl across
Next row: slip 1, knit 7, k2 together, k1 turn work
Next row: slip 1, p5, p2tog, p1
Next row: slip 1, k5, k2tog, k1
Next row: slip 1, p5, p2tog, p1
Next row: knit
Pick up and knit 6 slipped stitches along the side of the heel flap, putting the first 2 on Needle 1.
Knit across needles 2 and 3.
Pick up and knit 6 slipped stitches along the other side of the heel flap, putting the last 2 on Needle 1.
Next 4 rounds:
Needle 1: K across
Needle 2: K1, K2tog, Knit across
Needle 3: K to last 3, SSK, K1
(after repeating 4 times, 24 sts remain)
Continue knitting in the round until foot measures 2.5 inches from heel.
(I changed colors a few rows before reaching 2.5 inches)
Next row: K1, K2tog, K6, SSK, K1 twice
Next row: K around
Next row: K1 K2tog, K4, SSK, K1 twice
Next row: Knit around
Graft toe together using Kitchener stitch!
I got the hat pattern out of a baby hat book , but I can't currently remember which!
Posted by Rachel at 5:33 PM
Friday, July 20, 2007
So I've had this ball of yarn that I've been tying the really tiny odds and ends I have sitting around to for years. I thought maybe someday I'd turn it into a rug, but, to be entirely honest, the whole thing is ugly. The colors don't go. There are lots of big knots. Everything is a different size. In preparation for the move, I decided to say goodbye. But first I unraveled it all, to make sure I hadn't like left myself a note in the middle or anything. I didn't. And sadly, I forgot to take a picture before the Great Unravel. For about the first time ever, the cat was helpful in a knitting related project.
Posted by Rachel at 10:09 PM
Sunday, July 08, 2007
no chickens, actually. maybe next year, when we'll have access to a chicken coop as well as a full acre of gardening space! but here is our first container-grown tomato of the year (it's hiding a bit), just before we picked and ate it.
Posted by Rachel at 3:56 PM
Friday, July 06, 2007
Debbie from my knitting group loaned me this little worry doll pattern. I acquired enough recycled silk yarn from e-bay to knit an army of these guys. It's hard to see from the picture, but he has copper bells in his hair. I had heard very bad things about recycled silk from e-bay (dirty, breaks a lot, etc). There were a few little twigs and pieces of grass in the yarn, but no dirt, really, and it didn't smell or anything. It isn't super soft, but it's just fine for the doll. As for breaking, it does come untwisted sort of easily and if you work it too much lots of strings sort of start sticking out. But for this project, I found the e-bay yarn to be just fine. But I've never worked with the nicer, more expensive stuff, so I guess I can't really compare.
Posted by Rachel at 11:05 PM